A fulfilling sex life can be maintained and boosted by exercise, good mental health and also certain foods! A nutritional and balanced diet with the foods I am about to talk about can help to keep your libido high and your reproductive organs in full working order. Certain nutrients can deter infections and keep all the sex hormone levels balanced and healthy.
I will talk about foods that are necessary to keep your reproductive system healthy and your libido high. Other benefits are that they can increase your chances of fertility along with alleviating the symptoms caused by stress of everyday modern life.
Examples that do not help in a positive way towards your sex life and general health:
- Not enough zinc could cause infertility and impotence
- Moderate levels of alcohol can help you feel relaxed but too much can be detrimental to your sex life and general health
- Coffee, tea and coca-cola drinks contain caffeine which can reduce libido.
- Being overweight or underweight can reduce your libido and decrease your fertility. A healthy weight is necessary for ovulation and menstruation
- Negativity and depression is not conducive to a confidence required in sex and relationships
Foods to combat tiredness, stress and a lack of sexual energy:
- Vitamin A – liver, egg, yolk, cheese, butter and carrots are good sources of vitamin A. It looks after your epithelial tissues. These line all the external and internal surfaces of the body, including the linings of the vagina and the uterus.
- Vitamin B – women wanting to get pregnant should make sure they eat lots of food rich in folic acid well before conception because a lack of both vitamin B2 and folic acid have been associated with infertility Watercress is a very good source of folic acid. Chicken, fish, lean meat, wheat germ, brewer’s yeast, beans and pulses, peanuts and bananas provide B6. These foods are all rich in folic acid. Also dark green leafy vegetables such as cabbage and spinach and also liver, oranges, avocado, beetroot and broccoli are high in folic acid.
- Vitamin C – increasing this vitamin could help boost your chances of fertility, especially in men. It enhances the quality of sperm. It is also good for the prevention of the condition known as ‘agglutination’, which is when the sperm sticks together and are unable to reach the egg. All fruit and vegetables -especially kiwi fruits, blackcurrants, strawberries, citrus fruits, peppers, hold great levels of vitamin C.
- Vitamin E – is a very powerful antioxidant and it aids the protection of the ova. Foods which contain high levels of this wonderful vitamin are safflower oils, sunflower seeds, some vegetable oils, nuts and seeds, margarine, wheat germ and avocados.
- Zinc– oysters are good for your sex life! This is because they are the richest food source of zinc. Zinc is so important in sperm production and for a healthy and proficient sex life. Low libido and sperm counts have been linked to a deficiency of zinc. It can be found in foods such as shellfish (especially oysters!), dark green leafy vegetables, lean red meat, turkey, wholemeal bread and brown rice.
Other amazing foods and vitamins for you to research:
- Selenium – for the production of healthy ova & sperms this is a vital mineral. It is found in brown rice, porridge oats, lean meat and offal for examples.
- Manganese – this is vital for the metabolism of the female hormone oestrogen. A lack of manganese will reduce fertility in women. Pineapple, beans, peas, spinach, chestnuts, tea, oats, wholegrain cereals, wheat germ and raisins, are all good sources.
- Essential fatty acids – linoleic acid is important for sperm production. To be found in oils, nuts, sunflower seeds and vegetables.
- Phytoestrogens – this is a chemical found in plants. It resembles the female hormone oestrogen. Abundant in soya bean and other soya products. It is known to help deter breast and prostate cancer.
- Antioxidants – the risks of cervical cancer can be reduced by eating fruits and vegetables which are high in antioxidants.
Throughout the ages foods such as ginseng, onion, garlic, prunes, carrots, artichokes, ginger and aubergine are all foods that are famous for promoting sexual health, libido and sexual pleasure.
By Eirian Hallinan